Saturday, March 31, 2007

Goodbye Sara











I haven't written in ages. And I have no excuse, especially since my only friend here moved back to NYC and my Saturday nights consist of watching Sopranos reruns on DVD. No, I'm exagerating, I've had lots of fun visitors and I do have a nice group of friends here. But Sara was my only friend here that, um, looked like me. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what my friends look like or who they sleep with or who they pray to as long as they're good friends. I like the variety...But it was so nice not to feel like an alien when I was with Sara. We large-breasted, wide-eyed, abrasive aliens together and that made it so much more tolerable. We could just walk around laughing about things here and how we felt like giants. (A Japanese friend here called me an "Amazon"...um, I'm 5'4". What planet am I living on?) So, it was sad to see Sara go. But she'd been here 16 months and did her time like a pro, while having a fiance on the other side of the world (another reason we bonded, we could talk long-distance relationships). And the best thing is that she's back in the NYC area now so I'll have a new friend when I get back. I can't wait to be sitting in a diner and order an egg white omlette with salad (dressing on the side) instead of fries and a bagel instead of toast together...Not because I'm craving this breakfast, but because Sara had a hard time getting a cheese burger without the cheese here. They always had to ask the manager when she'd order it. So, we'd have a laugh and say it will be great to laugh about all this over a very specifically-chosen brunch in NYC one day...Here are some pics of her going away with her colleagues, and the Japanese Beatles, a cover band that plays in Roppongi (think: "Rove, Rove, Me Do...")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home