Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Kyoto!!





















A couple days after Bobby arrived we hopped a high-speed train (that left at exactly 06:36) with a big, long nose that Bobby loved and headed for Kyoto. There are 6,000 shrines and temples in Kyoto. We still need to see 5,995 of them but we feel like we made a substantial dent. We also feel like after a while, every Buddhist temple looks the same. But it was an all-around fantastic trip. We arrived at the Kyoto train station, got our luggage delivered to the hotel (which I was very proud of communicating with my three words of Japanese) and hit the ground running. The highlight was staying in traditional Japanese inns or "ryokans." Our first ryokan in Kyoto had its own little Zen garden and when we woke up in the morning (or rather, when the little geisha who minded our room woke us up at the butt crack of dawn), we saw that the garden was sprinkled with white snow that had started falling in the morning. It wasn't too cold, just enough to make the temples and the city even more magical than it already was. Bobby became a huge fan of the Japanese cotton yukata (or casual kimonos) they provide for guests to wear, and the baths that they drew us every night. They're in these big, huge hot tubs and smell of jasmine. The rooms come with a 10-course meal served to us in the room and a traditional Japanese breakfast. They were delicious (well, some of the courses were weird, but most were delicious). The only problem was that after eating all those courses, we still had the urge to pop open the Pringles or run to the "convini" (i.e. convenience store) and get a Snickers....After a day and a half of sight-seeing in Kyoto, we took a long bus ride to the leafy suburb of Arashayama, where a flowing river runs through steep, snow-covered hills. We stayed at the foot of one of the hills, in another traditional Japanese inn. Bobby wore his shoes on the tatami and I thought they were going to throw us out right then and there. It was as if he took a dump on the coffee table. These people at the hotel FREAKED out. But it turned out okay...at least, I think it did. Who knows what they were saying behind our back. Anyway, all our translation (both language and cultural) problems melted away when we took a dip in the "onsen" (or Japanese hot spring). Natural mineral water is pumped out of volcanic wells underground and used in these outdoor baths. We walked outside to the bath and we were freezing. It was below zero and snowing. But then we got in the water and your entire body warms up. I've never seen Bobby so relaxed. It was as if someone slipped a xanax into his sushi. He just lay there like a zombie. It was a nice change for both of us to feel so incredibly relaxed. I'll tell ya, the Japanese have a few things figured out. So, we got back into our traditional clothes, and the beds had been laid out on the tatami mat floor...It was just perfect....And to top it all off we saw a perfectly clear view of Mt. Fuji on the way back!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bobby wore his shoes on the tatami and I thought they were going to throw us out right then and there. It was as if he took a dump on the coffee table."

Hi Amy,

Saw your updates and enjoyed them! Great pictures too!

About the tatami incident -- on one hand, assuming this place has catered to non-Japanese before, I'm surprised that there wasn't any warning about taking shoes off. Without such warning, I'm not sure what they'd expect. I figure this must be a first for them.

On the other hand, to give you some severely exaggerated insight into what they're thinking, I've used the following analogy in the past: Imagine the filthiest NYC public toilet you've seen. Now imagine that it hadn't been cleaned in days after constant use. Then think about an individual who walked through every inch of that floor and immediately came over to your house, walked into your bedroom, and jumped on to your bed, stepping on a pillow or two for good measure. This is just a dramatic way of saying, "We have no idea where those shoes have been!"

The more conventional/traditional explanation would be that tatami mats are quite vulnerable to significant damage by shoe tread and they do not clean well nor easily when dirtied, stained, etc. by foot traffic debris. This is more pronounced as the fibers actually dry out further and become more brittle.


Chris

12:13 AM  
Blogger texas-tokyo-girl said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks for reading my blog! Ok, ok, you're right. It's much cleaner to take your shoes off, especially when you eat and sleep on the floor...I get that. What I'm still having a hard time with is the nuances. So, you have to wear slippers on the inside floors, but you can't wear those same slipper son the tatami (delicate stuff, I know). And then you can't wear the slippers or go barefoot to the bathroom. You've got to change into the bathroom slippers they leave you, which are, very conveniently labeled "Bathroom." I know it's sanitary and all, but I need a tutorial...Why new slippers for the bathroom? Help!!

: )

-A

P.S. What's your blog address? I'd love to check it out.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home