Monday, January 22, 2007

Sumo Wrestling (a.k.a. Fat guys in diapers rolling around violently)









Here are some pics of my excursion, with Sara, to the Sumo stadium for a big game last week...

Defn: Sumo (相撲, Sumō?) is a competition contact sport where two wrestlers called rikishi face off in a circular area. The sport is of Japanese origin and is surrounded by ceremony and ritual. The Japanese consider Sumo a gendai budō: a modern Japanese martial art, even though the sport has a history spanning many centuries.
The Sumo tradition is very ancient, and even today the sport includes many ritual elements, such as the use of
salt for purification, from the days Sumo was used in the Shinto religion.

1 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

It's been sometime since I read your blog and I enjoyed all the updates and visits you had from the U.S. I really loved your trip to Bobby's homeland-how gorgeous is Ireland? I have got to get there-his family seemed very warm and welcoming. The pictures of you and him in front of Trim Castle are my favorites. It won't be long till you're stateside.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home