Saturday, August 05, 2006

My first movie in Japan....


My first movie in Japan. We opted for Pirates of the Caribbean since it was the only flick in English. I made my way though the strange, cement city that is Roppongi Hills, past the Gucci store, past the Coldstone Creamery and the Starbucks and the giant metal spider and the moving escalators pointing in all different directions, and finally found the "cinema." A huge electronic screen with the names of movies (in Japanese and English, thank god) hung behind the cashiers. Each movie had times listed next to it and each time had a different colored dot over it. Then I looked next to the screen and there was a key for the colored dots. Yellow meant "a few seats left in the very front," red meant "sold out," blue meant "lots of seats left," I think orange meant "premium seats still left," or something like that. I had to laugh. It's typical of this place to massively over complicate the simple system of buying a movie ticket. I had to keep looking back and forth at the key to figure out if my movie was available. It was, but only with "a few seats in front" left as the orange indicated (obviously). The cost: 1800 yen! That's about $15.75...Whatever. I guess movies will be a rare occurance like riding in a taxi here. So, I pay and the smiling woman behind the counter pulls out this electronic seating chart. And I had to pick my seats B16 and B17 in the second row, middle of the aisle...The only seats left, she regretfully informed me. But then, I should've already known that because of the orange dot and all....

1 Comments:

Blogger texas-tokyo-girl said...

I'd pay any amount for Darcy...The movie was entertaining, but way too long. And I don't understand how Kiera Knightly could fall for Johnny Depp when he's wearing all that mascara with his teeth rotting out of his mouth, especially considering she has hottie Orlando Bloom waiting for her....But that's just me...

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home